Thursday, May 17, 2012

CBR IV # 24 - Double Fudge by Judy Blume

No, this is not a kiddie Cannonball.   I'm not sure if this is eligible, but either way, I'm reviewing it.  The Fudge series by Judy Blume holds a special place in me and my 9 year old kid's heart.  Almost four years ago, elder son got a brand new baby brother.  By the time the baby was  a toddler, it was clear that he was going to be a handful.  He constantly tested his big brother's patience.  I decided to read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing with my elder son.  He loved it so much.  Peter was so him in that he is mostly well behaved and logical, while Fudge is so much like the younger brother in being adorably mischievous.  After that, I bought him all the Fudge books but he's been reading them by himself. I decided to read this last book (so far) in the series in order to catch up with the Hatcher kids.

In this book, Fudge is going crazy for money!   Jimmy Fargo is moving, and the Hatchers find some family.  When the Hatchers go on a field trip to Washington to teach Fudge about money, they end up finding the other Hatchers, i.e. some crazy ass relatives.  The relatives come over to New York for a visit and, as usual, hi jinks and misadventure abounds!

As in the other Fudge books, it's not so much plot as just following this lovable family as they grow.  It is funny and touching, and at time profound.  Kids love it (well mine did) and the rents won't be so bored either.

No comments:

Post a Comment